Sunday, February 16, 2014

Finished Navi Corset and ANOTHER Layer of Majora's Mask

I finally finished my Navi corset. I have had the grommeting set for about a month now, but I was too nervous to use it. Finally last night (after some liquid courage), I worked up the nerve to try it out. I tried it on a spare piece of fabric, and once I figured out how it worked, I went ahead and put grommets into my beautiful almost-finished corset. I am actually really impressed with myself. It fits, the grommets line up, and it looks like a corset. I may need to shorten the shoulders a bit, but besides that, my corset seems to be finished. I think I did alright for my first corset!
Besides finishing my corset, I think I have finally applied the last layer of papier mache to Majora's Mask. I ended up folding some stripes of paper to make the mask more even. It worked way better than I expected. I still need to add the spikes (which I may need to do a bit more papier mache- ing for) and the clear ornaments for the eyes. My next step will be the spikes, but then I am going to try covering the mask in gesso before I paint it. I have never used gesso before. It seems straight forward, but we shall see. 

I will be working on my Navi tutu skirt soon. I have to figure out a way to have the glitter not fall of the tulle that I am using. I'm going to try both scotch guard and hair spray. I will post results of the experiment, but if there is anything that has really worked for you, feel free to post it in the comments!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Majora's Mask Paper Mache Clay Experiment

This was my first time experimenting with paper mache clay. My goal was to create a smooth layer to even out the bumps of the normal paper mache layer underneath it. I think it went alright over all. This is the recipe I ended up using: 1 large mixing bowl filled almost to the top with small bits of newspaper,  boiling water, 3 4oz bottles of Elmer's white glue. Pour boiling water over the newspaper to cover. Let sit over night. Drain water. Pour bottles of glue in and mix to combine.

This did make a pretty decent clay. My one regret is not ripping the newspaper into smaller parts. Also, it took a long time to cover, as well as to dry. I will need to sand it to make it smoother so I can add my last layer of regular paper mache. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to leave it in the comments. I hope this works out, but if it doesn't at least I will learn something from it.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Beginning of Majora's Mask

I felt like quite the hipster Saturday night. Not only was I listening to the Strokes circa 2002, but I was also paper mache ing while everyone else in my apartment were playing Civilization V. I started making the form of the mask. I used a heart shaped balloon. When I realized that it wouldn't be big enough, I started taping newspaper to it with masking tape. This didn't take me too long. It was mostly taping, stepping back, re-evaluating, and taping some more. Here is the form I have decided on... for now....

I have added a first layer of paper mache. The first layer pointed out all the bumpy parts that need to be address eventually. I am thinking of using a homemade paper mache clay. Once I try it out, I will post the recipe I used and pictures of the finished product.